Personal Responsibility

What is and has been happening in our society is very indicative of the lack of personal responsibility and accountability. We continue to condone behaviors like this and now it's in a more public, grander scale.

Being responsible is a big thing. How many of us want to admit that we'd really rather have no consequences for our actions and let someone bail us out? Have you ever had a position go against you, you didn't manage your risk and now you're really in the hole and you just hope against hope that maybe some miracle thing will happen, or that you really didn't put on the trade and magically all that money you lost will just reappear? Come on. If you've traded for any length of time, you totally know what I'm talking about.

It's our human nature to not want to be responsible and if you're an American citizen, this society does this repeatedly. We are raising generations of people who do not have to be responsible for their actions. Yes, I am getting on the soapbox.

I'm in my own challenging circumstances and it would be less challenging if I just allowed myself to be bailed out instead of taking personal responsibility. What has taking personal responsibility meant for me?
  • Begin to be aware, stop ignoring things
  • Manage my finances better
  • Have a budget and stick to it
  • Organize
  • Identify self-limitations and eliminate
  • Identify poor behaviors & mindsets and change to something healthy
  • Develop consistency of good habits
  • Work efficiently & effectively
  • Pay all debts
  • Stop being a victim, rather choose to be a victor
  • Make better choices
  • Accept the consequences
  • Get back up
  • Stop blaming others
  • Continually learn and adjust
  • Ask for help & accept help
  • Be creative
  • Be open to new ideas
  • Be humble
  • Be transparent
  • Admit that I've messed things up and be willing to change
  • Wipe up "the spilled milk"

These are just some of the things I've had to do and it hasn't been pretty. However, I've learned so much and am becoming a better person. Situations I never thought I would be in, I am or have been and it's helped me to develop more compassion towards others and how they could've gotten there.

As God empowers me to be able to dig out of my mess, it doesn't mean I have less compassion or mercy on others, rather, to be a source of encouragement to help give them hope that they can rise above their circumstances. I've had to eat quite a bit of crow and still doing it, but it's okay. It still doesn't taste good, but it's less shocking.

I feel less fear now, though, as I take one step at a time.

No one all of a sudden wakes up with an extra 30 lbs, rather it is done 1 ounce at a time, one choice at a time. Life isn't so easy that if we make this one choice it doesn't impact other areas of our lives, so there is this interwoven thing going on. It takes awhile to get out of big messes that are intricately interwoven.

As each person who reads my blog, you may or may not be able to impact on a grand scale like some people, but I encourage you to take personal responsibility for all your stuff. When you feel the need to blame someone or something else, think about what you can gain by taking personality responsibility instead. It certainly won't be the easiest or most popular route, but there is something that it does to you as a person when you no longer blame others. It's a great feeling, but it is work.

So, with every trade you make, don't say the market did anything to you because the market doesn't know or care who you are. You are just a mere spectator and doesn't even know you. Have a plan to manage your risk and stick to it. When you find yourself not doing it, then begin to analyze why and eliminate those things. It may require a host of things to do this, but be open and aware, then get up and take action. It takes time.

0 Responses

Amazon Store